Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Big Picture Becomes Widescreen, with a Few Steps Back...

It's hard to know sometimes if you're keeping things in the right perspective if you don't continually check back with where you came from. All fortune cookies aside, I hadn't been back to the east in a few years. Big Sky winters and summers with working at Moonlight swept my time away in an easy, laxidasical fashion that I grew accustom to....
The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone National Park; My backyard in all sense of the term for the last few years.  The last week I spent in Montana before my trip back east I camped out most of the time, hiked when the weather was decent, and went into Yellowstone twice- mainly because my all-parks pass doesn't expire until June...

My father used to live down the street from this garden behind a church in Barnstable, Massachusetts. He took me here on a rainy day that we toured the Cape, looking at old houses we lived in together when i was growing up before elementary school. I could see the large differences in my recollections of youth, but for the most part i hadn't been back there since...who knows....

I just returned this afternoon from New York, another place i called home for 3 summers, and a place where I still have some great friends. I took it all in yesterday by myself, or at what I was looking to take in- a visit to the MOMA and the Guggenheim, and a lot of walking around observing people and architecture.

I saw some paintings that have been on my laundry list to see since art school, like Starry Night, and some Gauguin's from when he was down in the caribbean painting the native inhabitants, also some George Braque early cubism pieces I always was fond of, but some of the installation pieces were my favorite surprise....

This tow behind camper exemplified modern art because it is function streamlined. A whole new reason to appreciate and want one of those little campers....

This simulated car bomb at the Guggenheim was beautiful, but i wasnt suppose to be taking photos i guess so i ceased doing so. There was some other work i really liked there, like a pack of 99 replica wolves running up the walkway with you, rising into the air, then hitting a clear plastic wall. And some clay, chinese workers, with amazing facial expressions, bodies cracking and falling apart.

Tomorrow I return to New Hampshire, for the first time in over ten years......stay tuned....

No comments: