Thursday, May 29, 2008

One Day It'll All Make Sense

The feeling that urged me to pack my things up and leave Montana felt like a virtual inevitability. Peeling the bandage off quick was the only way I could see doing it- prolonging the whole experience felt like it would only make the exodus that more difficult. In turn with those difficult feelings, clouded with a whole lot of uncertainty, I had to leave an amazing relationship, a good paying job (for the area at least), and a couple friends that could rival friends in any location that I have.

It rained most of that evening that I left. Slept somewhere I don't remember at a pull off in Wyoming (i think) and kept it moving early the next morning. I was pulling a uhaul trailer, averaging about 11 miles per gallon of gas through Wyoming and onto the Badlands of South Dakota. One trade off about the abundant rainfall was that it gave a 'dentist's office poster' quality to the badlands- one which i hadn't seen before, lush green-ness everywhere. Generally I had made this drive in the past earlier in the spring, and everything was generally very brown.

I found Chicago later that second day. Tolls were a burden unexpected because of the extra axle I was dragging, not to mention the sheer ridiculous number of them going into the city (like 4?!?) But good friends and good weather prevailed, and I did a lot of biking around the city in the two days I spent there.


..and then I got back to my family's house yesterday. Gotta tear down the old in order to build the new; We'll see how the next chapter begins...

1 comment:

Dannie Rose said...

wow. so you just felt the urge to go and you left. ive often thought about doing that. im sorry you had to leave people behind but it sounds like quite an adventure.