Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hello Boston


I'm going to estimate that it's been at least ten years since I've been to Boston, but it sometimes of late has felt like it's been ten years since I've done anything in New England. Regardless, all year-counts aside, I hopped onto a commuter train and went into the city by myself with the aim of checking out the Greco show at the MFA. Liking adventures as I do (that's the excuse i'm using?!?) I went with little information as to where the MFA exactly was. Sure, I'd been there, but it's been, like, ten years or something....

And it was such a nice morning in Boston. Great weather- the last thing I wanted to do, after riding that hour long commuter train in, was to go underground and take the T directly to the MFA. That would've been just way too simple to do. But in truth it really didn't matter, as getting lost in an unfamiliar city (with no schedule and beautiful weather) can be a great experience. So then what did I learn today? Boston has some really cool churches....

I was half lost in memories of field trips from elementary school with the sites while also taking in the very different architecture of how the city was built up. I was intrigued by the old, original base structures, then the towering newer ones- sometimes built into, next to, or even just on top. It reminded me of something i read the night before- something i'd learned in college but totally forgot....here...

Below is Buttonwood Park in New Bedford, Mass. I was glad to help walk my parents dogs with my moms there after I learned that the park was originally designed by the same person who designed Central Park. His name was Fredrick Law Olmsted. I guess money ran short and he never fully completed Buttonwood Park, but there's a lot of similarities between it and Central Park. He was also a main figure in the recent book Devil in a White City, which is a book about another city that I came to love for architecture after living there 4 years.

...And tomorrow I fly back to Montana...

No comments: