Friday, May 30, 2008

Destruction Brook Woods and the Lincoln Park Comet (RIP)


Finding leftover scraps of a dislocated and dilapidated history is, and may continue to be the theme for a minute here in Massachusetts. While I spend time pondering (and not soliciting) at this life-crossroad I've come to, there's a great opportunity to explore some places of interest- specifically to these leftover remnants of a much older past than I'm accustom to.

I stick to what I know, generally, as most do. Mountain biking is no exception. I'd walked through small parts of a town forest preserve here in Dartmouth called Destruction Brook Woods before, but I don't think I've biked it before. Well I did today. It sure wasn't the biking I was accustom to, but not much around here is. The tradeoff was the remnants of a foundation to two different houses, one of which I'd seen before, but the other had escaped me. The newer of the two foundations (to me) had a small stone shack behind it. Oh- and there was this water fountain that I didn't try pumping also.


But I couldn't find anything (online at least, didn't call shaggy) about the woods' history aside from when the town took it over to preserve it. Regardless, it was a fun local spot to ride, even though i could've pushed a wheel chair through most of the trails...


Here was another spot in the woods with another historical relic- this time from a more recent memory, but who knows why. This story probably is a less interesting one also, like how some guys ditched a car there and burned it, or something. Very random though....could be anything i guess.



Lincoln Park operated from 1894 to 1987, and all i knew about it before this afternoon was that there was a big dilapidated rollercoaster behind a fence near my parents house. After biking, and while eating a whopper (no relevance) I found a side road with a somewhat opened area to walk through. I could go into some detailed regurgitation of what i just read about this very interesting place, but anyone interested should just check it out where i did- The Lincoln Park Comet fansite. Lotta cool photos here and stories about the park. One thing I'll mention is that this rollercoaster was designed by the same guy who made the Cyclone at Coney Island, another ride I've been on.....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for mentioning us (lpcomet.com). Just a reminder, we're sort of 'Urban Explorers' when it comes to the old Park, and try to handle it as an Archeologic site... leaving only footprints and taknog only pictures (and measurements and sketches etc) so we tend to uncover things fairly regularly, keep checking if your interested

ben said...

absolutely.

Anonymous said...

I was at the foundation at the brook today what a cool place is there still no information on this location of what it once was?
blindndead@comcast.net
Rob