Monday, July 20, 2009

4th of July Photos


I used to come to Boston with the whole fam in my younger days for the 4th, and we'd hang out on the blanket all day waiting for the fireworks. So there was some reminiscent familiarity while walking through it all, but mostly after cruising through i was good to leave and stay away from all of it. Above is Storrow drive, closed for traffic, open to walking.


Although this makes perfect sense to advertise, too see it written out is kinda funny/odd...


The hatch shell is the hive of the nest/festivities. I ended up walking to it, and walking back subsequently after, wondering the whole time why i walked to see it in the first place. The journey was more the point of the trip, but I get anxious when I feel like human cattle, all moving at the same pace. There was a lot of interesting human activity going on that was worth photographing, but it was too busy to stop all that cattle and take photos.


Generally people find places next to the river and camp out for the day, roping off their sections and leaving one or two people there to hold down the spot while the others join the cattle in walking around. This rare section where no one was sitting was because the long stretch of porta-potties were next to this area. Who wants to watch fireworks and listen to 50+ people go to the bathroom?


But truthfully I was just killing time down there with my photo journey- my real aim was to meet up with my old college roomate Pooba and his wife Melissa. They were on a east coast bus roadtrip with the whole clan- both her and his families. They must all be very close and enjoy each others companies- how many people could swing that trip? I think the bus ride in itself is a lot to ask. So the graveyard above is in the Common, and it had always been locked in the past when I was taking classes down there, and I knew hundreds of people who were dug up when they built the subways through there had been buried in a mass grave in there, along with a lot of other wealthier denizens of old Boston. So I wasted some time here taking photos...


Eventually I met up with Pooba and Melissa, but we pretty much just went out to eat a lot and their trip was short, so no photos of all of us. Maybe next time- no, till next time....

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Till next time it is . . .. There should be something at your doorstep in the next couple of days if USPS didn't ef it up like they always do.